Thursday, November 4, 2010

Barrel Racing!


The sweat drips off of my forehead, I wait. My horse starts to prance as I hear the soft gravel underneath him.  I start to worry. The next girl goes in, 21.20 I start to get scared.
I hear the crowd roar for the next girl. I look back up and see that the girl has already shown up. I glance up at her time, 20.07. That’s fast! I get a feeling that it’s going to be tough to beat that one.  The announcer’s earsplitting screeching tone comes on over the intercom, “we can all take a quick break so the horses can calm down “.the music starts to play a weird song” You spin my head right round right round, like a record player”. The announcers awful voice comes back on, “Alisha’s on deck, Sammie’s in the hole”. I wonder what will happen when it will be our time to go. I sit and wait a while more.
 I sit up in my saddle. I hear the faint sounds of people talking, dogs barking, and my one little mother hollering. I hear the most amazing sound ever, my own sister that I have not seen or heard from in 10 years, she starts to holler so loud that I hear her like the sound’s sitting right next to me.   I see the crowd stand up, they start to cheer. I can’t believe it. They open the gate, as the rusted gate makes the worst screech   I have ever heard. I walk in; I hear the silence of the crowd. The adrenaline rushes through my body. I look up and kick. We rush around the first barrel; I hear the soft wet dirt squish to the ground, some of it flying up and soaring out of the arena. I look up at the second as we race around it. I hear my mother holler, “kick, Kick, kick! “  I start to feel the wind in my hair.  I sit back and look at the last one, I cannot believe it. As we slide to the last barrel I see the ground moving faster. I move my eyes to the crowd they gasp as my horse trips. He gathers his feet and moves up again, mud flies, and we drift around the barrel.                
The music in the backgrounds still playing” You spin my head right round right round, like a record player”. We head back home as the crowd roars. I hear the sounds of the people drift way as my spurs jingle a little more. My eyes get motion sickness, as they move all around. I see myself looking through his ears. The sound of the faded music now fades more. I observe the mud fly. I look down at my horse as he sweats more than ever. I look up to see some people standing at the rusted gate, just waiting. I start to kick more than ever.  The spurs sound like thuds as it hits the side of him. I hear this sound more than ever. Now I feel the adrenaline rush through every part of my body that I had. I feel like I have lost everything I have worked so hard to do.  The time is flying faster as I start to slow down with the kicking. I hear the crowd start to scream. I feel like I am free right now, I feel no pain rushing through my body. I just feel the freedom of running, and running so fast is what I want to do.   I start to turn home; I watch his back muscle’s move, with a slight twitch in it. I listen to the sound of the ground getting hit like bullets getting fired by a gun. I pull his head to the left, as his body comes to a jog.  He starts to slow back down. And I feel the strength in his body to carry me as fast as he did.  The sound of the music comes back in as I sort of get my mind back. My mother stops screaming, the dogs stop barking, and music is now coming back. I feel that my whole life has been a whole rush. I look up to see my mom almost in tears. Everybody’s shouting and I feel on top of the world. I hear the crowd roar once again. Hurray, yes, ha-ha. I listen to the screeching of not only the rusted gate but the old man’s voice. “Wow! That was a fast one. 19.21 seconds” that’s the fastest one yet”! I walk out of the old gate. It has been one of the greatest times of my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment